Instructions for Including e-books in WebCampus
Using FDU’s e-Books for Courses – Information for Faculty
Recommended general process:
- Start in the FDU Library catalog: CoolCAT NJ – Click on “Library” in the header on any FDU web page, the select “Search Library Catalog.”
- Search for book by Keyword, Title, Author, or another method.
- Select the e-book you want by clicking on the title on the results list.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the record and right-click on the “Linked Resources” hyperlink. Copy the link (or shortcut) to your clipboard.
- Paste the copied link into the “URL” box when you are creating an external link in a Webcampus course, or in the text box for a course content item in Webcampus.
- Assuming the ebrary reader is installed on their system, students following the link while on campus will see the item open in their ebrary reader. Students following the link while off campus will be asked to enter their FDU Webmail address and password to have their access authenticated.
- If the ebrary reader is not installed on their system, students following the link will be asked to first download and install the reader before proceeding.
Alternative for additional ebrary materials:
Some non-book materials are available through ebrary but are not accessible through the Library catalog, CoolCAT NJ. These materials include some reports, journals and other content such as maps and charts. It is possible to search for them through the ebrary site and to post URLs for the materials in Webcampus. To give off-campus users access to these materials it is necessary to create a link that includes FDU’s remote authentication server (EZProxy) information. Use the following procedure:
- Search for the material on the ebrary site (http://site.ebrary.com/lib/fdu)
- Copy the bookmark from the ebrary reader by clicking on the “Info Tools” button and selecting “Copy Bookmark” from the resulting pull-down menu.
- Paste the copied bookmark into the location of your choice in Webcampus.
- Add FDU’s remote authentication server (EZProxy) information directly in front of the URL you have just pasted. Make sure there is no space between the EZProxy information and the copied URL. The EZProxy information is as follows:
- The resulting “combined” URL can be used as either an external link or as a course content item as described in the general process above. It will look something like this:
- (ignore the "padlock" icon in the URL above - this is added by MediaWiki - the URL is meant to be a single continuous URL)
- It is possible to link to specific chapters or pages in ebrary e-books using this method.
Note: This procedure works only with ebrary materials. For NetLibrary materials, use the recommended general process detailed above.